I have long aspired to stop buying bread from the grocery store and make all of my own from scratch.
I buy a lot of flour tortillas and it recently hit me that I should try making my own, and so I did. WOW! What an incredible difference compared to store bought. These are delicious!
How to make your own Tortillas
Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 2 TBS butter (called for lard, but we don’t use it), softened
- 1.5 cups water
- Mix the dry ingredients. Add the butter and mix with your hands – it will be sort of lumpy but not really. I almost panicked as it didn’t seem like a proper consistency, but it worked out fine in the end! Add the water and mix (I continued doing so with my hands) until the dough is a smooth and elastic consistency.
- Divide the dough into 24 pieces and roll into balls. I patted each ball with flour as I shaped them – it helped make the ball easier to shape and also made rolling it out easier too. This recipe really does make 24 balls, however several times I did combine two balls to make one larger tortilla.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium-high heat. I used a tiny bit of butter in the bottom, but I don’t think it’s required.
Using a floured rolling pin roll out the tortillas – getting them super flat takes a bit of work, as does getting a nice circular shape. Mine were either perfectly thin or perfectly shaped – I didn’t nail both in the same tortilla. (And you know what? No one cared!)
- Place the rolled dough in skillet until golden and bubbly and then flip – about 30 seconds per side.
- Continue rolling and cooking the tortillas as you eat the ones you have prepared.